Monday 29 April 2013

Saison #1

A while back I decided I would have a bash at making a saison. I can't say I've got a great deal of knowledge on the style, but I've liked the ones I've tried. Not having much of a background to draw on, I found a recipe online and decided to use that.

The recipe can be found here on the wiki for the American Homebrewers Association. It very helpfully pulls together all the prize-winning recipes from their national homebrew competition. It's a great resource because they are proven recipes and so logically, if you don't get great beer it's you, not the recipe! 

However, I decided to use a different yeast, and I altered some of the quantities, which you might say defeats the object! But anyway, here's the recipe I ended up brewing:


Ingredients

Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
3.40 kg
Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
Grain
1
70.8 %
1.15 kg
Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC)
Grain
2
24.0 %
30.00 g
Bobek 2011 [5.17 %] - Boil 60.0 min
Hop
3
20.2 IBUs
1.00 tsp
Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)
Fining
4
-
15.00 g
Bobek 2011 [5.17 %] - Boil 15.0 min
Hop
5
2.7 IBUs
4.00 g
Ginger Root (Boil 5.0 mins)
Herb
6
-
15.00
Peppercorns (Boil 5.0 mins)
Spice
7
-
1.00 tbsp
Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)
Spice
8
-
Red Grapefruit peel (Boil 5.0 mins)
Spice
9
-
20.00 g
Willamette [6.30 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min
Hop
10
0.0 IBUs

1.0 pkg

French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml]

Yeast

11
-

0.25 kg

Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (2.0 EBC)

Sugar

12

5.2 %


I wanted to use Wyeast 3711 for another couple of saison recipes I had, so I decided to use it here as well, rather than WLP565. I wanted something a bit fresher and fruitier. I added the sugar in after four days, when the ferment had passed it's peak.

I was initially quite disappointed by how this turned out. There was some yeast character to it, but there was a dry aftertaste and a bit of sharpness to it. The yeast also fermented it down to 1.004, so it's dry as hell, which might account for some of the sharpness. The body is better than you would expect for a beer with such a low S.G. I didn't really get much character from the spices and fruit I put in.

On balance, I think I would be better trying this recipe with the WLP565 strain, as I think it would work better with the flavours. There is a slight cidery-ness to the beer that I think is coming from the sugar addition. I would try this recipe again with that yeast though.

I'm going to leave the beer to condition for a couple of months before I write off this experiment, though, as I have noticed an improvement over the few weeks that it's been bottled. It'll be interesting to see how it ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...