Saturday 7 September 2013

Competition Time!

Today I dropped off my entries for the National Homebrew Competition! I'm really excited about this, especially so because I'm going along to JUDGE too!


I'm going to put it out there right now, that I don't expect to win! Obvious I know, but that seems to be the first question you get when you say you're entering a competition. What I'm really looking forward to is some good feedback on my beer, from people who know what they're talking about, tasting the beer blind. It'll be really interesting to find out where my beers stack up against other peoples' and maybe get some hints about how to improve. And if I can pick up a medal along the way, then I'm not going to complain!


Labels and entry forms ready to go!

I'm hoping to score quite highly with a couple of my entries, but I've also got a couple that are over-carbonated and will probably gush everywhere when the judges open them - always a good first impression! I've also entered my Legendary Wit, which has only been in the bottle for a week, so who knows whether it'll be carbonated by next weekend!


As I mentioned, I'm also going along to judge! Obviously I won't be doing any of the categories I'm entering. It's going to be a really fun day getting to try so many different home brews, though scoring a lot of beers in one day is going to be tough. I can see the last beers taking longer than the first! I've not done competition judging before, so I'll be paired with an experienced judge on the day. They'll have casting vote if our scores end up far apart, but I'm hoping I can do a good job. We've done several structured tastings to BJCP guidelines at brewclub, so I know the process. And on Thursday we had a refresher and prep session.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...