Saturday 19 January 2013

Saison thoughts...


So, having bought ingredients for my next two brews and having another still bubbling away, clearly my thoughts turn to what I should brew next!

All of my brews thus far have been quite dark, rich, fairly heavyweight affairs. All beers that I like to drink or that I want to have a go at, but probably my choices have been influenced by the season. Comforting drinks for cold nights. 

They're also mostly drinks for people who are already fans of beer and my girlfriend is not one of these people! So I'd like to brew something that is a little lighter and more accessible. Something that she might enjoy too (I know, boyfriend of the year, right?!). So I'm thinking about brewing a saison next. I can't say I have a lot of knowledge about the style, and I've only tried a couple of examples - Dupont on draft, Bristol Beer Factory's saison, and a couple of efforts from homebrew buddies. I really like the fizzy sherbert flavour, which is different to other beer styles, so I think I'll give it a whirl.

So today at work I'll be listening to the saison discussion on the Brewing Network Sunday Show, to get a bit more of a handle on the style and what's involved in brewing one. Then I think I'd probably be best off buying a few different examples to try, all in the name of research of course! Then I can start looking for a good recipe. To be honest, I've got a good month before I'll have a chance to brew this, so there's plenty of time to plan...
I've also got an american amber ale recipe to try (from John Palmer's excellent How To Brew), so I'll need to fit that in somewhere too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...